On the Path

Mine are the green ones.
It has been a while since I updated, and much has been happening lately. My departure for Cambodia is under two months away. Laura is home for the summer (hooray), and we have done a few things to get ourselves ready for the trip – like buy our shoes. The right shoes are important for a trip like this, and I think we found them! We both are now proud owners of Keen sandals, which are amazingly comfortable and look very durable (and washable – it will be monsoon season when we are in Cambodia).  Beyond that, we are encouraging each other to exercise and get fit for the trip. We also made a prayer card to hand out to friends and prayer partners. Check, check, check goes the list!

Just last week, I received my flight itinerary. This is very exciting to me! I found out I will be leaving on July 13, flying from Rochester to Minneapolis (under an hour), Minneapolis to Tokyo (12 hours), Tokyo to Bangkok (6.5 hours), and Bangkok to Phnom Penh (no information on that flight yet).  There is just a short layover in Tokyo, so no exploring there. But I will most definitely look out the airport windows and take in everything I can from that vantage point! I have no idea how long we’ll be in Bangkok, but that’s another wonderful-sounding place I have never been, one more jumping off place to get me to my destination of Cambodia. I’m so glad to have an experienced traveler as my flying partner. Marti has been to Cambodia before and knows the ropes.  I am extremely inexperienced (as in no experience at all) in overseas travel. I have heard some wild and crazy stories about things to come, but will have to wait a couple months to have stories of my own.

Speaking of stories, we had a great time at our trip meeting on Sunday. Our group of 19 broke up into three smaller groups, and as our “game” for this time, we all had to create skits about cultural differences/traveling. The skits were hilarious; I can see this is going to be a fun group to travel with!  My own, personal best story so far comes from a glitch in my online calendar. I was updating the dates for the trip. I entered the trip as a daily event, beginning on July 13 and ending on August 5, 2011. My calendar went completely crazy. For some unknown reason, it re-entered the trip again and again (ad infinitum), each time starting one day later and ending one day later. If you look at my calendar, it is full of Cambodia. Forever. At first it made me laugh uncontrollably. I still giggle a bit just thinking about the ridiculousness of it, but I got to thinking there might be some truth in the errant programming. I have a feeling that my life forever after this trip will have the imprint of Cambodia on it.

Screen shot of my psycho calendar
God, thank you for this opportunity, and for calling me to be a part of it! And thank you for leading me to this verse, which inspires me as I prepare to walk the path you have for me.

“I am teaching you the way of wisdom;
    I am guiding you on straight paths.
    When you walk, your steps will not be hindered;
    when you run, you will not stumble.
    Hold on to instruction; don't let go.
    Guard it, for it is your life.” Proverbs 4:11-13, Holman Christian Standard

Praises:
1.       Laura is home from college, and we have more time for planning and preparing for the trip.
2.       Plane tickets are purchased!
3.       I am thankful for the gifted and talented group of 19 going to Cambodia.
Prayer requests:
1.       Please continue to pray for the vulnerable children and youth in Cambodia, that they be kept safe from harm.
2.       Please pray for the final details to fall into place in the planning of the trip, and for wisdom for those making the arrangements.
3.       On a personal note, pray that my time with God stays consistent, and that I listen to his voice as I prepare myself to go to Cambodia. 
Laura and me - the picture that's on our prayer card

Comments

  1. I got Keens for the trip too. Mine are grey with aqua trim. Won't we all have pretty feet!! And hopefully comfortable feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comfy feet all around! I have been wearing mine every chance I get, and so far, so good. They feel very good.:-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment