Decisions, Decisions...



I have spent my spare time during the past two months compiling data on cameras. Right around Christmas time, I decided that I wanted to make the move to a camera with interchangeable lenses. There is nothing in particular wrong with my current camera. A few of the buttons are a little “sticky” from being pushed too often, but all the settings still work.  My current “bridge camera”, a Sony HX1 with 9.2 megapixels and a 20x zoom, has served me well for the past three years. It went with me to Cambodia and helped me capture moments that will forever stay with me; my life was changed, and the photographs help keep that memory fresh. It went with me on our thirtieth anniversary dream trip to Prince Edward Island and captured the joy and excitement of that journey. It goes with me to school every day, on walks, and pretty much everywhere. In many ways, it is just an extension of my arm and an augmentation of my vision. (Hey, when I put it like that, maybe it’s my super power….)

Cambodian children who captured my heart

Covehead Lighthouse on Prince Edward Island - one of my favorite places!
I’ve talked before about how my photography has changed my vision and perception of the world around me. I see God’s creation more clearly with each photo. I get a little crazy when I can’t get out and take pictures. My nature photography walks fill me up and give me time to praise God for His masterpieces. I return from those walks an odd combination of rested and euphoric.  

Taking the next step to an interchangeable lens camera is no small endeavor. Of course, the cost is something that I have long considered. I have stopped just short of this next step several times, simply because we couldn’t find room for it in the budget or it seemed like too much money to spend on a luxury. I’m not sure why the price tag isn’t scaring me off at this point; maybe it will before I actually take the plunge. The other consideration is that I will be making a transition from a completely simple-to-use camera to one that has more nuances and complexity to it. While I am looking forward to those nuances and that complexity, I have enjoyed being able to take pictures of the bumble bees in front of me and then turn around and snap a shot of a hawk in a far away tree. On my current camera, one lens goes from macro to zoom, just like a dream.  There will be a learning curve with a new camera, but I think I am up to the challenge.



I am not hurrying into this purchase. In fact, I I have “decided” what I will buy three different times. Seriously, I have three different cameras (of three different brands) completely picked out, down to all the lenses I would get for the budget I have set.  THREE DIFFERENT CAMERAS, PEOPLE!! I could easily be talked into any of them. I have done research online and have interrogated friends and family. One of the problems in making a final decision is there are no longer any actual camera stores in town. (At least, I think that is the case. Please correct me if I am wrong.) That’s where I have gone in the past, when deciding on a camera. The guys at Best Buy are simply not as well-informed as the guys at Ritz Photography, plus camera selection is more limited when cameras are only one of a thousand different things the store sells.  My other complaint is that all the cameras are anchored to the displays, making it very difficult to get a true feeling of how they would travel with me. My camera definitely has to travel with me, no doubt about it!

I’m still a couple of months away from my purchase point. Who knows how many more “perfect” cameras I will come across. It’s a process, for sure, and has been a fun way to occupy the billion hours of inside time we have had this winter. I’ll keep saving my money, and we’ll see what happens.

This picture of my camera and me was taken by my friend, Teri Franzen.

Comments