On Mother's Day

It has been a long time since I have written a blog post. Summer is coming, so posts should be more frequent. Right now, today, I want to offer up a small blog on the subject of Mother's Day.

In my line of work as a preschool teacher, I interact with moms of young children every day, moms in the midst of the most hands-on phase of mothering. They come, often bringing their preschooler along with a younger sibling or two. They come, with bodies weary from full-term pregnancy. They come, with hearts weary from miscarriage or secondary infertility. They come, with financial concerns, with fears for tomorrow's doctor's appointment, with excitement for an upcoming vacation. They come and smile and share love and support with each other. They are vulnerable to harsh words or actions, and equally uplifted by words of praise or encouragement. They press on, doing the best they can, on little sleep (often) and with much self-doubt (sometimes). They laugh. They cry. They love their children fiercely. 

On this Mother’s Day, I want to wish them all a true and full, twenty-thousand-foot perspective, so they can see the everlasting value of what they are doing. I pray that they will understand that perfection is unattainable, and that they will feel forgiven for their mistakes and valued for their efforts. I hope that when that sticky little face plants a kiss on their cheek (or maybe even on their lips), they pause for a moment and really feel that over-the-top LOVE that their child has for them. More than a “Happy Mother’s Day!” I want to wish them a joy-filled day (life, really) of mothering, because I think they all know the difference between the fleeting mist of happiness and the abiding power of joy. Hang in there, Moms, and know that I see you, I appreciate you, and I am praying for you.

Take the time machine back to 1994.
I'm right here, trying hard to remember the reality of getting together with other moms in this stage of mothering.
Four of these lovelies are mine; four belong to a mom who soldiered through those early days with me. Love her!

Comments