The Practice of Life

Life. Some days it is filled with joy. Some days it is overwhelmed by sadness. Some days I find it easy to see God’s plans. Some days I find it impossible. Life is almost never exactly what we want it to be, almost always challenging, and almost always changing. Our perspective today will quite often seem laughable tomorrow. Our lives intertwine with others in mysterious and wonderful ways – and sometimes in destructive and repulsive ways. One person’s lifetime is brief and another’s is long, but both seem to have passed in the blink of an eye when viewed from the end.

One thing I know for certain is that life is an incredible gift.

My five big brothers, shortly before I was born
I received that gift of life almost 57 years ago. My mom told the story of how she, at thirty-nine years old, found herself pregnant again. While Mom and Dad always maintained that none of us were “planned” I got the impression that news of my existence was a bit of a shock. They lived on the edge of Fountain, Minnesota, on a rented farm, right near where the ball field is now. Their road was torn up, and it was a very rainy, muddy September after a hot, sticky summer. They had five boys, ranging in age from almost fourteen down to five years old. And I believe that she (or is that I?) was overdue by about two weeks.  Ugh. I can only imagine! When it finally came time for my arrival, they went all the way to Rochester to have me. In time, I arrived, and the family folk lore tells the story something like this:

“It’s a girl!” exclaims the doctor, after my delivery.

Mom, in disbelief, asks, “Are you SURE? We don’t have girls.”

The doctor declares, “If there’s one thing I know, it’s how to tell the difference between a girl and a boy.”

And there I was: a girl after five boys…a girl in their “old age”…a girl to put an exclamation point at the end of their family…a new life to cherish and raise. My parents did an amazing job of cherishing and raising me.

Here we all are, a few years later
So here I sit, 57 years later, contemplating the joys and sorrows along the journey of the first gift any of us ever receives: life.  I am in the midst of grieving alongside friends at the loss of their infant granddaughter. I am in the midst of rejoicing at the beginning of another school year. I am in the midst of working hard to help manage the needs of my precious family members. I am in the midst of welcoming a new family member, as we continue to celebrate the marriage of our second daughter. I am in the midst of yearning for another pet after the death of our beloved Matilda-kitty at 19 years old. I am in the midst of becoming healthier as I continue to work at maintaining the 50 pound weight loss I have achieved over this past 9 months. I am in the midst of missing my dear 102-year-old neighbor, Dr. Woolner, and all his wonderful Prince Edward Island stories. I am in the midst of cherishing time with my husband, as we explore state parks together and think about other possible trips to take in the future. There is a constant give and take. As I live, I love; as I love, I hope; as I hope, I heal; and as I heal, I grow stronger. The Giver of the gift of my life, my Creator-God, holds my hand through it all. He is my joy, my hope, and my strength. Oh, what a precious gift is LIFE!

In celebration of the precious gift of my life, I offer this picture sequence of me at (almost) 57 years old. I am in love with the practice of life. If you know me, you know this. (I may also be silly at times. If you know me, you also know this.) My gift to you as I quickly approach this birthday of mine is to remind you that, in spite of all the ups and downs, life is meant to be embraced. I encourage you to do just that. Practice joy, even as you walk through sorrow. Practice hope, when the world spreads a message of despair. Practice love, as a response to evil and pain. Practice prayer, to keep our Heavenly Father’s power close at hand. Practice faith, for a light in the darkest of days.

The many moods of ME
(and yes, I know the heart is made wrong...I am 57, after all, and I don't always get things right)
Thanks so much for walking alongside me through this journey called life. Happy birthday to me!



Comments