Be a Blueberry


Today marks the fifth anniversary since my father-in-law, Lester Traff, stunned us all by committing suicide. I have written many blogs about this topic.  As I reviewed previous blogs from this date, I found that last year’s blog covered so much of what I wanted to say today. Here is the link to it. Today, I am going a little different route.

I have a gluten free blueberry muffin recipe that I just love. The recipe is not mine (my version is slightly different, calling for 1/2 cup milk and 1-1/2 cups blueberries), but it is one of my favorites. They are just muffins, but they are yummy and they actually rise, unlike some GF baked goods. I don’t make muffins very often, but I was excited to make these muffins the day after Independence Day, using up some leftover blueberries.

I ended up making them on July 6, as I totally forgot on the fifth. Then we went grocery shopping before I made the muffins, so it was later in the morning than I intended. Still, I got to work and mixed my GF flours, added ingredients most standard bakers wouldn’t have ever heard of (xanthan gum, for example), and even zested a lemon. That’s gourmet cooking for me! It had been at least a year since I made these muffins. The recipe said, “The batter will be thick,” and it most certainly was THICK.  It didn’t flow into the muffin cups at all; I kind of shoved it in. I licked my fingers afterward and the taste was bitter. I just told myself, “They’re not chocolate chip cookies, you know!” but I should have told myself more. Warning lights should have gone off. Something was most definitely wrong with these muffins.

I turned the pan after ten minutes as directed by the recipe. The little blobs I had shoved in the muffin cups were still little blobs. They hadn’t filled in the cups. I knew for sure something was wrong at that point, but of course there was nothing to do but finish baking them. I was not happy. I was baking them as a treat for Emily and Eric, and I knew for a fact that these muffins would not be a treat. As soon as they cooled a little bit, I tasted one. Ugh. It was immediately evident that I had forgotten to add the sugar. My recipe didn’t fail me, I failed it. R.J. took a bite and told me they tasted like scones and that the blueberries added some sweetness. He claimed that were not as inedible as I had declared them to be. Emily and Eric wanted them anyway, and Eric said he actually liked them. They seemed to agree that the blueberries probably saved the day. Sigh. The muffins were not a total failure, but they certainly were not the perfect muffins I had intended to make.

It seems to me that my father-in-law Les had a strong desire to be perfect. He was the trivia champion of the local news radio call-in show. He held strong opinions on most topics and knew how to argue his points. He loved deeply and did what he could for others. However, Les’s mental illness (depression) caused his “recipe” to be a little off. He could give and give and give, but he simply could not accept help for himself. He found it difficult/impossible to embrace the idea of possible positive outcomes occurring from the spot he was in life. I think his self-talk probably sounded a lot like my descriptions of the failed muffins: something was wrong, but he didn’t know exactly what and there was no way to fix it. Ugh.

It has taken me a long time to accept that the man I knew and loved, the man I saw as the ultimate caretaker could knowingly devastate so many people he loved so deeply. It has taken me even longer to come to a place of forgiveness for the pain he caused his wife and my children, especially. I feel like I have spent so much time learning about mental illness over the past five years, and I still have only scratched the surface; however, one thing I have learned that it is exceptionally difficult for a person suffering from depression to take captive their thoughts that do not represent reality. They cannot just “think positive” or “pray harder” and it inflicts pain when you use that kind of language with a clinically depressed person. Without the help of counseling and/or medications, their depression-driven thoughts can spiral out of control. Just hanging on, just moving, just eating, or just talking can be torture for the individual struggling with depression, even with the help of counseling and/or medication. The recipe is not right, and it is our job as friends and family to see the warning lights going off.        

                                                                                                                                                                    
I remade those muffins this morning, just to prove that I could do it right. They are perfect. I could easily eat all twelve, which is why I don’t make muffins very often. This is still one of my favorite recipes. Sadly, believers struggling with depression may not find that perfect recipe until heaven. Their daily pain can become unbearable. There may be nothing you as a friend or family member can do for them, but don’t stop asking, offering, and believing. Don’t stop telling them they are beautiful and treasured, just as they are, even if they never find the perfection they are seeking this side of heaven. If they have the courage to reach out, please reach back. Have that cup of coffee or smoothie with them, and don’t be afraid to just sit and listen or sit in silence if it means letting that person know that you care. Even if you can't fix the recipe, you can at least be a blueberry.

These are the good ones.

 Be a blueberry, my friend. Be a blueberry.




Comments