Elusive Joy

I feel bad. Valentine's Day came and went, and I didn't mention anything on Facebook about the love I have for my husband or the great job he did picking me out a present. It was a mug, all the way from Prince Edward Island. He ordered something from Etsy for me! Cool, huh? The following day was R.J's birthday. I didn't even wish him a happy birthday on Facebook. I did get him presents for both occasions, and we had a family party for his birthday (homemade pizza and cheesecake). The pressure to do everything on social media has kind of done me in this week. I normally go for this stuff big-time, but right now I'm just not into it.
 
With the red sand shore and the open sea, this mug reminds me so much of PEI!

I've spent quite a few hours this past week up in the hospital with some good friends. The husband of this couple had a sudden heart attack and is very critically ill. These friends are just my age (so, YOUNG, right?) and the sudden nature of this twist in their lives has me reeling. This wife is facing the very real possibility of losing her precious husband. Their three boys, who grew up with our kids, are facing all sorts of issues that are complicated and exhausting. They are very private people, but this crisis puts them in a very public setting, pretty much 24/7. If you are a praying person, please pray for them. God knows who they are, and He will hear your prayers.

You may understand why my joy is elusive this week. While on the one hand I feel very grateful for everything I have, on the other hand I feel very undeserving of everything I have. Life here on this rock is brief. There is nothing like a crisis to help me realize that I need to be more intentional about my daily actions, fervent in my prayers for friends, and appreciative of my loved ones.

I can at least do some appreciating right here and right now. R.J., my love, you are just right for me. You are my travel partner, but more importantly, you are my relaxing-and-staying-at-home partner. You are devoted to our family. It is delightful to watch your tender side come to the forefront with our sweet granddaughter, Elle. You and she have something special. You support me in all the best ways, by encouraging me when I am right, and challenging me when I am not. You do this in love. I am so glad to have a husband whose opinion I can trust, who I know won't just say something because he thinks it is what I want to hear. I need to be both encouraged AND challenged. Whether it's the mundane (like installing a beautiful new kitchen faucet for me) or the expansive (like loading up all our earthly belongings and moving across town), I always want to do life with you. You have loved me for over three and a half decades, through the best and the worst of life. I am head over heels in love with you. I am so glad you were born.

Grandpa & Granddaughter

My fabulous new faucet, installed by R.J.

Us, hand-in-hand. Always.

Happy Valentine's Day, my love! And happy 58th birthday, you youngster!



Comments