My Church has not been Closed

I have been hearing so much rhetoric about when churches should open again, what that will look like, how to make it safe, and who should make those decisions. There are LOTS and LOTS of opinions out there. I want to say this loud and clear: my church has not been closed! There has been so much going on, so many good things happening since we stopped meeting in the sanctuary. Pastor Darril has been delivering excellent, thought-provoking messages every week. That wouldn't happen without our communication staff (Bri and Sarah) recording him and producing the videos. Becky, Jason, and the worship team have been providing us with beautiful music. Elders and staff have been service hosts each week, offering prayer and keeping viewers aware of any announcements that Christ Community might have. The KidCity staff (Sam, Shala, Amy, and Andrea) have provided weekend services as well as messages of encouragement (and fun) throughout the week. Youth ministries (Ryan and Andy and LOTS of volunteers) are also active, providing online events, Bible studies, and general support to our middle schoolers and high schoolers. Trisha has guided the family ministries branch of our church so well! There have been devotions from Pastor Greg, Trisha, and many other staff, produced and shared on social media. Our administrative staff (Steve, Kristen, Troy, and Sara) have been keeping things running smoothly and reaching out to help others. We have a vibrant prayer ministry that is still going strong during this time of social distancing. Joy and the women's ministry team kept Bible studies meeting via Zoom. Autumn and the other MOPS leaders organized a socially distanced final meeting for the moms and children they serve. Under Teresa's leadership, Kingdom Kids has provided emergency child care for families of essential workers. Facilities staff (Dave and all the others) kept the building clean and safe for them. Kingdom Kids teachers also offered videos and Zoom meetings for preschoolers over these past couple of months, at no cost to their families. They even had a drive-by graduation for the preschoolers moving on to kindergarten.

My church, OUR church, has been open and working to further God's kingdom during this time of unknowns due to the pandemic. I take great comfort and encouragement from this fact. I am thankful for the church staff and volunteers who have worked tirelessly to serve others. They are essential workers, in every sense of the word. I am glad to call many of them my friends as well. I do miss gathering as a congregation. I do miss hugs from my church family. But I do not miss my church, because it has not been closed.





Comments