An Optimist

It can be hard to be on social media or even to have conversations with people these days. So many strong opinions are whirling around: so much anger, so much hopelessness, so much grief, so much frustration. As a blatant and often annoying optimist, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around how such diverse and divisive commentaries come from people I know and love. It physically hurts me at times.

I don't go out much right now. I am glad for a level-headed husband here at home with me, one who looks for ways to learn about opposing opinions instead of using that phrase I have grown to dread, “I just can't understand how anyone could feel that way.” He often talks me down from my whatever my latest frustration with a post on social media may be. He helps me understand as well. We are all just looking for the best way possible to get through some tough situations. Even many of the BIG reactions come from a sincere desire for the best possible outcome. People are weary and grumpy. Even me, sometimes.

So how does an optimist deal with a world on fire like we have these days? First, I pray a lot. For me, it would be impossible to make my way through this current yuck on my own power alone. I need the strength and courage that comes from my heavenly Father. Second, I limit my intake of the news and of social media. I get out in my garden or go on a walk with my camera or watch some mindless HGTV instead of consuming the things that consume my joy. But those measures aren't always enough. I want to DO SOMETHING about all the negativity. I don't want to argue or debate or whatever you might call it. I want to spread light and joy.

I cannot stand by and do nothing, so I am on a “thank you throw down” or a “gratitude growth spurt” or maybe an “appreciation application operation.” It's my current battle plan, and I really do like it. Every time I go to a store or to a place where I get a service of any kind, I make eye contact and say thank you as many times as I can to as many people as I can. I thank the gal who just sprayed down my shopping cart. I thank the cashier who stands behind the Plexiglas at HyVee. I thank the bagger who packs up my two weeks worth of groceries. I thank the young man spraying down high frequency touch surfaces at WalMart.

Thank you!”

I appreciate your hard work!”

You did a great job!”

I smile through my mask and my fogged up glasses. I know they can't exactly see my smile, but I like to think they can feel it. Saying thank you helps me, too, as I remind myself that I have many reasons to be grateful. People out there are doing their jobs. They are helping me. They are worthy, and they should know it. It puts my mind where it should be instead of allowing me to dwell on how different the shopping experience is now compared to a year ago or how wearing a mask has become such a hot button issue. Saying thank you is probably the smallest of small acts, but that also makes it the easiest of easy acts. I can do it often and I can do it well. And I am optimistic that it does make a difference.

Lord, thank You for making me an optimist, even if it is painful to be one sometimes. In a world that is hurting and longing for comfort, help me extend Your love and care. Open my eyes to ways I can encourage those who are fighting tough battles right now. Let me shine Your light in the darkness. Make me an instrument of peace and of joy. Use me however You see fit. Amen.”


Comments