Sixty-Two

Sixty-two. I had a birthday yesterday, and that’s how old I am. I love my life, but this past year and a half has been tough. As an optimist and a lover of people, I have felt shaken at what I have seen and heard. Through it all, God has called me to continue loving and spreading joy no matter how I feel. So here’s my birthday message….

My life is not perfect, but I am in love with it. My birthday helps me remember all the gifts I have been given in my time here on earth.

I treasure the opportunity to wake up every morning next to my husband of 38+ years. I know many who have lost a loved one recently, so I don’t take a breath or a person for granted. I cherish each conversation, whether we agree or disagree. We do life together well, and our challenges make me a better person.

My “kids” are all grown but all still live here in Rochester. I love that. They have their own lives, but we see them frequently. They bless me with their presence and their synergy and their laughter. Whether on vacation or just hanging around at the house, we are connected. It adds joy to my days just to know that. Each one, and each one who married into our family, delights me just by being who they are.

Grandchildren are a blessing as well. Elle is here with us every weekday; her little brother is still a few months from arriving. I love them both. I love being Elle’s “every-day grandma.” Spending time with her and hearing her sweet little voice telling me important things nurtures my soul. I love the way she makes up songs to sing in the car ride from Kingdom Kids to home. I love how she knows how to snap her fingers simply because it’s how we get the cat to come to us. I love every little thing about her.

I enjoy having a pet. Rilla is a good cat (well, most of the time). She is affectionate and cozy. She likes me. She purrs in my face frequently (with her bad kitty breath) and is (mostly) only annoying when she wants me to feed her. Like NOW!!

The rest of my family is pretty amazing as well! I have five brothers by birth and three more by marriage. They and their families mean so much to me. Every chance I get to spend time with them all feeds my heart and makes me long for more time with them. 



Pic from four years ago, but we hope to get back there again soon.

I am blessed with great friends as well. My coworkers at Kingdom Kids are amazing prayer warriors and friends. I have friends in many different corners of the world and in many different corners of my life. I gain strength and insight from them, and I am grateful.

My job is part time. I work only four mornings each week, which allows me to watch my granddaughter four afternoons and one full day each week. I love working with little ones and learning from them. They trust me enough to show me their imperfections. I trust them enough to show them mine. It is not an easy job, but it is a perfect job for me. 

I am continually amazed by this beautiful world we live in. I breathe in the aroma of autumn and can’t help but be giddy. Hiking in the great outdoors with my camera in hand is one of my great joys in life. I have hiked my way right through my first set of hiking boots. I got the gift of a second pair on this birthday.


My age is showing. My skin is wrinkly and freckly. My neck skin is downright woggly. My feet hurt, my toes are gnarly (and not in a good way), and I need orthotics in my shoes (or hiking boots). My knees make funny noises. My hair is mostly grey and has a mind of its own. My weight goes up and down.

I like the way I look.

Birthdays are a gift. Breathing is a gift. Health is a gift. Wrinkles, grey hair, and aches are a gift. Even this past year and a half of turmoil and ugliness is a gift. Not a bit of it surprises God. He already knew how broken we all are. Now we know, too. Learning is a gift. Healing is a gift. On my birthday, I’m accepting those gifts graciously from the God who created my life and directs my paths, and I am thankful.

I’m sixty-two. 




Comments