Summer of Surrender

I have told a few of my close friends that I have never needed a summer break as much as I need this one.  There are so many factors that all have worked together to make this statement true. As a teacher, I use my summers to renew myself. Typically, I find new little art projects, think of innovative ways to teach different topics or themes, revise lesson plans, and generally get myself excited for the year to come. And I rest up, too, as I pray for each one who will be in my care the following year, as well as all the families I was blessed to get to know the previous year. Unfortunately, last summer was not restful. We had about four weeks of summer before my mother-in-law had her cardiac arrest. That began a chain of events that was life-altering for Barb, and it also changed the nature of our summer (and beyond). A short two weeks after Barb’s hospitalization, my father-in-law Les, Barb’s husband of 53 years, killed himself – on their 53rd anniversary. Many of you walked with us through this dark time. The pain, the grief, the questions – all were overwhelming for those who loved Les, and most of all for Barb. Our job was to do our best to help her through those awful days, weeks, and months, as she healed both physically and emotionally. We wouldn’t have had it any other way, but this has been an exhausting year for all of us. Teaching is a high-energy job. I love it so much, and I love my kids and their families deeply. I pour my whole self into my students. This year, I was pouring my whole self into my job and also pouring my whole self into helping Barb.  The problem was, there aren’t (and never will be) two of me. Something needed to change.

Enter summer! I ended my school year on a very positive note. The families of my students were so generous and kind in their end-of-the-year words and deeds. I felt affirmed and loved beyond measure. Those last few days of work were very full, but then…then came summer break! Great rejoicing, right? Honestly, I was a little afraid. I don’t think of myself as a fearful person, but all of a sudden, many questions swirled around in my head. Would it really be OK for us to go on a vacation for over a week, or would something else catastrophic happen? How would I ever rest AND complete all the things I want to get done this summer, things left undone for over a year? WHAT WOULD SUMMER HOLD? (Take a deep breath, Liz!)

Joy overflows when surrounded by this kind of beauty!
I love that summer starts with Memorial Day weekend, because for me, that means camping with my family. Family time refreshes me, and when we all get together at the campgrounds, it is always a weekend filled with peace and joy, love and laughter. It was a reset. Amidst all that beauty and all that love, I developed a new strategy for my view of summer. Instead of focusing on it as a single, expendable unit, I am going to cherish each day. Many of my friends have used the month of November as a time to daily express their feelings of thanksgiving; I have decided to do a similar sort of thing this summer. I’m calling it my “Summer of Surrender” because I want to lay all my worries, all my pressures, all my schedules at the feet of Jesus. Writing things down is important to me, so this whole summer long, I will be writing something each day. For the first month of summer, I will focus on gratitude for Who God is and for all the beauty and joy He dispenses to this world. During July, I will focus more on giving God the things I cling to, surrendering something each day, holding more loosely to the things of this earth. During August, I will focus on choices. What does God want me to choose? How can my choices fill up or empty my days? How do I choose between two good things? I will be writing prayers to God as He guides me. 

That’s my idea, as it sits right now. If you want to join me in a summer of surrender, I would love that! Concisely, here is the plan:

June: Write expressions of gratitude each day.
July: Write expressions of surrender each day (with a spirit of gratitude).
August: Write prayers for guidance in choices each day (with a spirit of gratitude).
Whole summer long: Cherish. Each. Day.

The execution of this plan doesn’t have to be public. I am writing my daily entries in my long-unused gratitude journal. I am also choosing to share them on Facebook, for now at least. You can participate in the way that suits you best, but at the end of the summer, compile all that you have written. See how God has opened your eyes and changed you. He will, you know.  If you feel up to sharing about the experience, I will provide that opportunity at the end of the summer. For now, I pray that you and I will lean on our Lord as we let Him lead us through this summer, embracing each day as it comes. Amen and amen.

Comments