An Adventure Begins

I love a good road trip! R.J. and I are set to begin a journey of over 3200 miles that will span 9 days. We will cover 12 states and visit both friends and family. Our sons are staying behind to take care of the house, so we don’t have any concerns on that front. Our first big task is to deliver some of my dear mother-in-law’s belongings to her boys. Our impending departure has started me thinking.

On March 31, 2016, we spent the day moving Barb and her belongings from Austin to Rochester. It was an exhausting day, but one filled with joy and hope. It was the beginning of the eight short months that Barb lived here in Rochester.

Barb, freshly moved in to her apartment in Rochester
Us, celebrating Emily's April 6 birthday, with Barb in our midst
Having a picnic with Barb

Fast forward to March 31, 2017. It seems fitting that we begin this journey today, exactly one year after Barb’s move to Rochester. Things have come full circle. Barb would have loved the fact that Chris and his kids are getting her dining room table. She would have loved hearing all the details of our trip. She would have sent her love and hugs to everyone in Alabama. She would have told us how much she was going to miss us while we were gone. But of course, we wouldn’t be going on the trip at all if she were still here to see and do all those things. Still, the trip seems like it has her stamp of approval.

This first portion of this trip is a beginning and an ending. It begins a longer trip, with many other adventures in it. (There will be stories to come in this blog as the adventure unwinds.) It ends, more or less, the distribution of Barb’s belongings. That’s neither good nor bad, but it is a transition. I have spent a lot of time over the past few months organizing, appraising, and selling or donating Barb’s things. That task is mostly complete now. Our house is looking a bit less disheveled. We are finding spots for things here and finding homes for things outside of our space. I hope we have completed this process in a way that is honoring to Barb. I know that I have thought of her often during the process.

Adventure awaits! I have that phrase embroidered on a bag I will be taking on this trip. As I said before, I love a good road trip. I am oh-so ready for this one to begin.




Comments