More Joyful Explorations

This trip continues to amaze. Yesterday was full to the brim with joyful exploration. We left Shoreacres, Texas, early in the morning. Our first destination was Galveston Island. Wow! That is such an amazing place. We drove along the shore and watched waves crashing in. Did I mention there was a wind advisory? I love a windy day, and this was one of my favorite windy days ever. Every time we got out of the car to take a look at the scenery, we were accosted by that wind. It added so much dimension and excitement to the landscape, which was already rich with interest. The architecture styles were completely different from those we have around here (and quite an eclectic mix as well), the paint colors were diverse, and there was so much beautiful landscape – I was continually looking from one place to the next and enjoying it all.

A house in Galveston

Love me some shore birds.

Windy day picture. I think I like the wind more than R.J. does.

 Our next destination was a wonderful gift for me. When we started planning this trip, I realized how close we were going to be to Matagorda, Texas. My dad was stationed on Matagorda Island during World War II. He and Mom told stories about the Matagorda Peninsula all my growing up years. They were freshly married when they lived there, and I can imagine how different that world was for them, compared to their Midwestern home. Before we left on our trip, I asked my brothers what they knew about Mom and Dad’s time in Matagorda or their visits there later in life. I knew that the Airforce base had long been closed down and that Matagorda Island could only be reached by a boat. I learned that they had visited the area on one of their last trips south, and found just about nothing they recognized. Still, they enjoyed the trip. I didn’t know what to expect or what my goal was in going there, but I wanted to be there. It wasn’t exactly on our way, but R.J. and I added it to our itinerary. We drove all the way out on the Peninsula. Out at the point is the Matagorda Bay Nature Center. It is a beautiful place. We had intended to eat a picnic lunch at the tables there, but this was no day to eat outside. We ate our lunch in the car and then headed out into the wind. We walked all the way out on the jetty, with a head wind all the way. It was spectacular. We not only went to Matagorda, we fully experienced it. (So fully, in fact, that we took parts of it home with us, as those 30-40 mph winds imbedded it in our hair, in our teeth, in our glasses, and well, everywhere!) I am beyond grateful that we were able to have that experience.

We made it!

It was a long walk out on the jetty on the windy day.

R.J. walked ahead for a while.

I kept spotting birds and trying to take pictures, even though I couldn't see because my hair was in my face most of the time.

I was having some fun, but my hair kept blowing in R.J.'s face.

He decided it was important to hold my had so I didn't blow away.

 With that done, we headed inland and had to say goodbye to all our shorebird friends. Our last destination of the day was Austin, Texas, to visit my nephew and his family; however, on the way, we had an errand to make. We stopped a mere mile or so off our route to pick up a precious cargo of about six or seven boxes. The story of those boxes is not mine to tell, but I will say that I feel privileged to help them make their journey from Texas back to Rochester. We traveled south with a table as cargo and will travel north with a cargo of boxes. It was definitely meant to be, and helping those boxes find their way to Minnesota adds another whole layer to the meaning of our trip.

Our boxes, safely stashed

 As I said, our next stop was Austin, Texas! By the way, it is not a brilliant idea to enter Austin, Texas, at rush hour. We spent quite a bit of time almost sitting still as absolutely no one rushed anywhere. We did comment that if we had to be stuck in traffic, at least it was good to be stuck in a place with great views! We finally arrived at Brett and Erin’s house at about 6:30. It was delightful to spend time with them. We were joyfully greeted by their boys and then had a feast for supper. We visited and caught up a bit with each other. It could not have been a more perfect evening.


"Watch me climb!"

Play ball!

Can't get enough family time!

 This morning, we said goodbye to Brett, Erin, and the boys early as they headed off to work and we headed on the road again. Although we are still going places we have never been before, today was a bit of a quieter day with no major destinations in mind. We did end up finding a rather interesting war memorial in Paris, Texas, and a state park in Oklahoma where we could stretch our legs. One thing I noticed as we traveled was that our luscious summer weather and foliage has started reverting to spring. Seeing the seasons go in reverse will be on the agenda as we head further north in the days ahead. Our resting spot for this evening is a bit of a let-down, after all the Airbnb places. We are in a Super 8, and it’s probably only an OK 6 to be honest. But it is clean and has what it needs to have (a bed, a microwave, a refrigerator, and us), so we’re good. We have just a couple more days on our adventure. Life on the road is still very good.

In Paris, Texas, of course!

One more state we hadn't been to!

Much less windy today, on our Oklahoma state park trek.

It's spring again, and I found a bluebird!

Comments