Life, She is A-Changing

I have been spending quite a bit of time lately thinking about and planning next summer’s trip to Prince Edward Island. When we went the first time, we considered it the “trip of a lifetime.” We had planned for ten years before finally making the trip. I consider the planning of a trip to be a big part of the enjoyment of the trip, and because I had such a great time planning, I was a bit afraid that the last trip wouldn’t live up to expectations. There were, of course, aspects that disappointed; however, our time on Prince Edward Island was not one of those aspects. It far exceeded my very high expectations.

The eight-mile bridge to Prince Edward Island

Us, on a beach near Covehead Lighthouse on Prince Edward Island

This time around, I am a bit afraid that we can’t get a repetition of that level of satisfaction. We are planning to stay in a different area of the Island and take a different route to get there. I love the idea of seeing new things, but I also want to mix in some of my favorite elements from the last time we went. I hope we achieve the right balance. Right now, the selection of the place we are going to stay is uppermost in my mind. Early reservations are important so we are sure to get the kind of place we want. Last time we stayed in the heart of “Anne-country” and found a resort-cottage duplex that was not far from the water. This time, we’re staying on the eastern side of the Island, looking for an “independent” cottage (not part of a resort). I narrowed it to the final four, and one has already been eliminated because of price. It was lovely, but really, they all are. I shouldn’t stress so much over this one detail, but I want to get it right. No, excellent. No, perfect. Sigh. There’s the rub.

Life is not perfect – not even vacation life. At home, all the flaws are obvious. Life marches full on with all its problems and flaws, and that’s really the expectation. Sometimes, it seems like life is a series of “whack-a-mole” type events, where as soon as I hit one trouble down, another one pops up. Vacation, though – vacation should be free from all that stress.

As most of you know, my perception of Prince Edward Island has been forever altered by my connection with the amazing Dr. Woolner, my 100+ year old neighbor whom I got to know after returning from our first trip to PEI. Dr. Woolner grew up on the Island and his stories captured my heart. One of the things on my list for our return trip is visiting his grave. He is buried in the same cemetery as Lucy Maud Montgomery, his plot not far from hers. We even visited that cemetery on our first trip, never guessing we would someday have a personal connection to the place. Dr. Woolner’s daughter Anne has also invited us to spend some time with her, as she still spends her summers on PEI. I am eager to see the places I have seen in her photo albums, and to have her show us around the area we stayed the last time, this time seeing it as a native to the Island would. But in the here and now, I am reminded of how much I miss Dr. Woolner. His house has been vacant for many months, and now the “For Sale” sign is up in the lawn. Life has a cruel (or maybe kind?) way of reminding us of its brevity. I hope the next owners of that house treat it with the respect it deserves, and I hope that somehow, they learn its heritage.

Dr. Woolner's house, for sale

My beloved friend, Dr. Woolner

So as I plan another “trip of a lifetime” to a place I know that I love, I catch myself second-guessing each decision I attempt to make, as if those decisions will determine my level of happiness. I am sure the place we stay is important, but it is not the most important key to my contentment. Remaining grounded in faith and staying true to who I am are the real keys to joy, both on a trip and at home. Being resilient comes in handy as well.

Things will be different; that’s the nature of life. Changes are good and changes are bad – and certainly, changes are inevitable. In the past year and a little more, Dr. Woolner passed away, our kitty Matilda passed away, and then my mother-in-law Barb passed away. Our daughter Laura got married. We became empty-nesters with under three weeks’ notice. We purchased a different car. Many other changes occurred, big and small, and they continue to occur almost daily.

I need to persist at refining my attitudes and my perspectives until I can embrace the lightweight changes with gusto and accept the heavier ones with dignity. My Jesus is one of the very few things that remains constant and unchanging in this ever-shifting world. As long as I cling to Him, I will be okay. I have only to look back on my own life to confirm that.

This video I made a while back, using the Sara Groves song “He’s Always Been Faithful” (with her permission), illustrates God’s faithfulness beautifully. I am so blessed to be surrounded by people who love and support me, through any and all changes. Adventure awaits, and I will not fear the unknown that comes as a part of the package.






Comments