Invitations

“The Spirit and the bride say, ‘Come!’ And let the one who hears say, ‘Come!’ Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.” Revelation 22:17


The young man we are sponsoring - look at that smile!

 “Mrs. Traff, if you ask your mom, you can come over to my house for lunch.” This was a comment – an invitation, more accurately – from one of my preschoolers, when we were all playing restaurant one day. Another day, one of my darlings nearly ran me over in the hall (after finishing her lunch), hugged me, and then asked me where my house was, because she had been thinking she would like to come over and play. This invitation was a little “sideways” in that I think the young lady was inviting herself over to my house. Any way you look at it, invitations are fun! As I’ve mentioned before, one significant reason I am drawn to Cambodia is Marie Ens and the orphanages she has helped build and operate there. We have just recently begun sponsoring a young boy in the Place of Rescue II Orphanage. He is 8 years old and is in second grade. I am eager to meet him and hug him when we go to Cambodia, but I have already begun loving him. An invitation to love is one I just can’t pass up, and little children are near and dear to my heart.

Today is the last day of March, which means only three and a half months to go before the trip! My checklist for Cambodia keeps growing, but the good news is I keep plugging away at it. A week or so ago, I received the second immunization in a series of three for Hepatitis A & B protection. The final one is scheduled for next week, and my other immunizations are complete. Although inheritance money from my dad has made it possible for Laura and me to go on this trip, it will not provide for all the costs. I am working on ideas of how to raise money for the trip – more on that later. I have also completed a fundraiser letter, which was difficult to do. On the one hand, I have shared in other people’s mission trips in this way (by financially supporting them) and found it a wonderful experience. I have gained insight into God’s handiwork through teaming with these individuals. On the other hand, it is hard to ask for money for myself. It’s humbling and maybe even a bit embarrassing. Possibly, that’s just my “control” issues flaring up again. I have prayed over both the letter and the list of people to whom it is being sent.

Two goals I have over the next few months, in preparation for the trip to Cambodia, are to get myself in spiritual and physical shape. Spiritually, I want to finish my Bible reading plan. I have not been as faithful to that plan as I wanted in the past, but now I am on track to complete the Old Testament before I leave on the trip. I have recently finished reading completely through the New Testament and the Psalms and Proverbs, but some of the Old Testament language/structure has slowed me down. The discipline of making it an every day priority has finally fallen in place, but I do not dare take it for granted. Reading the Bible has become my spiritual breakfast, preparing me for the day ahead. I don’t want to start skipping “breakfast” again. Physically, I am waaaay out of shape. A major objective is to lose weight, of course, but more than that, my goal is to take care of the body God has given me through eating better and exercising. (I was going to say exercising more, but truthfully, I’ve let it drop off entirely lately.) I know the heat in Cambodia is extreme, and that I will do better in general if I am in better shape. I spent a seemingly interminable half-hour on the elliptical on Monday and again this morning, going at an agonizingly slow pace compared to what I used to be able to do. Keeping consistent in my exercise routine will be a goal, especially as I start back to work after spring break.

I am delighted that we have homework (believe me, I haven’t said that about homework before), so I can focus on preparing for the trip itself. Our workbook (called Short-Term Missions Workbook by Tim Dearborn) is a very good starting place. I am eager to get together with our group and discuss the chapters we have been assigned. I have borrowed or purchased a few books about Cambodia, to learn more about the land and the people. I haven’t, however, actually started reading any of the books yet. Again, that will take discipline. I am very glad God provided spring break right now, so I can gather up my thoughts, ideas, goals, and prayers and try to put feet on them!

Immunizations, fundraising, spiritual growth, physical fitness, homework…all are means to an end. I have RSVPed to the invitation I received from God to go to Cambodia. It’s an invitation to personal growth on all fronts. I am eternally grateful for "the free gift of the water of life" to sustain me along the way. 

P.S. Prayer has always been an important part of my routine, of who I am, really, but lately even that has taken on a new level of urgency. I long to know how I can best pray for those I love, hunger to lift them before God’s throne in prayer.  I hope that God will continue to increase my appetite for anything that is of Him as He prepares me to go on this trip. From now on, I am going to list some prayer requests and answered prayers in these posts.  Here’s the first set.
Requests
1.       Please join me in prayer for the many orphans and vulnerable youth in Cambodia.
2.       Pray for my spiritual discipline as I prepare for the trip, that I would maintain a daily time with God even as busyness tries to crowd it out.
3.       Pray that I will also keep physical activity a part of my daily routine, and that I don’t injure myself in the process.
Answers
1.       We just found out that Laura’s and my immunization costs have been covered by insurance. That will save us hundreds of dollars.
2.       Laura and I both have our passports! Hers came this earlier week.

Comments

  1. Liz, Thank you again for sharing- God will honor your efforts to prepare your mind, body and soul for this trip. My thoughts on the money... think of it as shipping fees- those who know your heart and love will simply just know we are helping to ship God's love in a Liz package to those who need to open that love up :)

    yeah on the insurance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shipping fees! Ha! You crack me up, Missy. I never thought of it that way. Thanks for your encouragement and for bringing a smile to my face! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment