A Teacher

My youngest, at three years old
Teaching preschoolers about Jesus is one of my greatest joys in life. As a teacher at Kingdom Kids, that’s part of my job description; however, I first discovered this great joy with my own children. Along the way, there were some comical bumps in the road as our children sometimes misinterpreted the Bible lessons that we taught them. One of my favorite stories comes from our youngest child. Back in the day (circa 1997, when the little guy was three years old), we had a daily devotional that had a week-long memory verse. Each day we would practice that verse, until, by the end of the week, it would be pretty well memorized. One week, he was shouting the verse all around the house. He even opened the screen door and yelled it to the neighborhood: “’If you love me, you will do the things I command.’ John 14:15.” After one especially loud recitation, he turned to me and said, “Well, God loves me, so He will do the things I command.” Ummm…no. My son missed the mark with his theology on that one – although, you can see what a power verse that would be, with the alternate interpretation! It’s so easy, even as adults, to want to put our own spin on what the Bible says.

Easter is upon us. On this day when we remember Christ’s great sacrifice for us, I have been thinking about Jesus’s last days here on earth. I am struck by the great care Jesus took to teach the crowds, all the way up to His death. He longed for His people to understand God’s message fully, so He taught them. It’s not as if the fact that “Jesus was a teacher” is a hidden nuance of the New Testament. Jesus didn't just teach; He would teach to the point of exhaustion, then He would get a little down time (prayer time), and He would begin teaching again. One of His main purposes while He walked on this earth was to help His people understand both the real intent of the scriptures and also how following the God of those scriptures inherently must change one's life. He taught in synagogues. He taught on hillsides. He taught from a boat. He taught on the road. He taught rich rulers and social outcasts. He taught the common folk. He taught (or tried to teach) the religious elite. He taught in difficult circumstances, with detractors often observing, questioning, criticizing, and eventually, plotting to kill Him. He taught on topics of scripture interpretation, compassion, forgiveness, social injustice, marriage, and so much more. He taught directly and through stories (parables).

What started me on this line of thinking was the scripture verse referenced last week in our Palm Sunday sermon. The passage was from Mark 11, and the section that caught my attention was verses 15-18 (NIV):

On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’” The chief priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching.

I have heard and read that passage many times before. In the past, my focus has always been on how wonderful it was that Jesus was standing up for justice and trying to get the temple to operate the way God intended. I was amazed that His anger could be righteous and not sinful, just the opposite of most of my anger. It wasn’t until last week that my mind focused in on the teaching element of this passage.

Think about it. Jesus had just finished tipping over tables, sending money - and doves - flying everywhere. It was quite a scene, and He most certainly had everyone’s attention. As the passage continues, it doesn’t say Jesus berated or shamed them – it says He “taught them.” To be sure, the words He said were harsh. He taught the people involved that they were not operating the temple correctly. The religious elite (the chief priests and teachers of the law) did not like the lesson, that is clear, as they “began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, (here is the part I love) because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching.” The word “amazed” here comes from the Greek meaning “to strike with panic, shock, astonish; to be struck with amazement, astonished, amazed.” (Thayer) Has a truth ever struck you so hard that you were shocked that it hadn’t occurred to you before? That’s how I imagine some of those “vendors” feeling on that day. It’s possible they had been in the crowds when Jesus had been teaching at other times, but this time, the lessons were personal.

I wonder if the lessons taught that day were put into practice in that temple. Jesus taught, and I would love to think that at least some of His “audience” listened and learned. I hope and pray that I listen and learn when I am taught difficult lessons, when my errors are correctly observed and pointed out to me. A life verse for me has been “Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.” (Proverbs 19:20-21) I want to be teachable. I want to admit my mistakes and be willing to put in the hard work it will take to correct them. I want to study God’s word and not just pluck verses out of context and use them to my benefit, like my three-year-old son did so long ago. I want to be a life-long learner of God’s truths.

May this Easter find you in pursuit of God’s truth and His instruction as you celebrate His gift of redemption!






Comments