A Dozen Pictures

Pictures are a window to the past. In my 57+ years here on the planet, many pictures have been taken of me. I sorted through old photos and found a few of those pictures from my past. I thought it might be interesting to pair the pictures with facts and stories of my life, to give you a window into my past. Many of these dozen facts about me that are represented here are well-know; in fact, I have talked about some of them within this blog at one time or another. Still, it is possible that you may be surprised by one or more.

1.       I am the youngest of six and the only girl in my family. That is a sweet, sweet spot to occupy in a family.


2.       I always like to say I was spoiled, but not spoiled rotten. I didn’t have to do a lot, but I did have to behave. My punishment for a bad attitude was to “go upstairs and come down when you have a smile on your face.” I was a people person even as a small child, so I often tried to rush the process, and came down when I ALMOST had a smile on my face.


3.       I grew up on a horse. I don’t ride much anymore, but I cherish that heritage and the experiences I had from the back of a horse, including getting thrown, riding all day in pouring, cold rain, getting stepped on, and so much more. My life is better because of my time with horses.


4.       My daddy was my hero; whether I was sitting in his La-Z- Boy recliner with him, or whether I was horseback riding with him, or whether I was visiting him at the grain elevator, I always loved spending time with him. He was all broken-in as a daddy by the time I got him, after those five brothers of mine. He talked to me and he listened to me and he always made me feel special. I miss being his little girl.


5.       My mom was my other hero: my kindergarten teacher, my example in living life with joy, and the source of a wealth of wisdom. I am deeply sad that she didn’t get to stick around here to watch my kids grow up.


6.       I became an aunt at age 12. That was the best and coolest thing ever, because it meant I got to play a part in the lives of these precious people (and all the rest of my precious nieces and nephews) as they grew up.


7.       I once had big hair. Very. Big. Hair. Let’s be honest, though – I often have big hair, even now. Humidity is not my friend.


8.       One of the best decisions I ever made was to marry R.J. Here’s something you might not know. We were young (I was 23 and he was 21 when we married, a year younger when we started dating) and when we got engaged three months after starting to date, not everyone agreed that we were a good match. I think I can safely say, after 33.5 years of marriage, that we have proven them wrong. Marriage is hard work, but it’s the best and most rewarding work I have ever done.


9.       Being a mom is amazing. We waited almost five years after we got married before we had our first child. No child was ever more wanted than our Emily, and the same holds true for each of our children. I love them completely. Each one is so precious to me, as are the mates that the girls have chosen. I cannot imagine my life without their comedy and their synergy. They make each other better and stronger, and that is a thing of beauty to watch. I LOVED being a mom of young children and staying at home with them. I also LOVE being a mom of adult offspring. They are amazing people and I enjoy spending time with them no matter what.


10.   My job as a preschool teacher is wonderful, in the truest sense of that word. Seeing the world through the eyes of four- and five-year-olds keeps me young and keeps my thinking fresh and full of wonder. Being a part of the lives of young families is a privilege that I don’t take lightly.


11.   My trip to Cambodia changed my life forever. Everything about it stretched me and challenged me. Everything about it drew me closer to Jesus, since I had to lean on Him and trust Him to get me through all those challenges. I know who I am as a Christian so much more clearly because of this trip. I am so thankful.


12.   How can a homebody like me love travel as much as I do? It is true that I love to come home and stay home most nights, sitting on my recliner couch under a soft blanket. And it is also true that I love trips, the bigger the better. The world is so amazingly beautiful. Natural beauty often makes me cry. Seeing new sights is amazing, and seeing them with my husband beside me is the best. I can’t wait for our next adventure.


This was a fun exercise! I bet you could find pictures which tell stories about your past as well. I think it is very important to tell the stories of our past so that those important, or funny, or even embarrassing parts of our lives are not forgotten.  If a story reminds you of someone you may not have talked to in a while, give that person a call. If a story reminds you of how grateful you are for a particular person or blessing in your life, be sure to say thank you. If a story reminds you of a difficult time in your life, be sure to give thought to what you have learned from those difficult times. Perspective is everything, and as I get older, I realize that more. Life moves quickly. Cherish it.

Comments