No Longer a Slave

For me, music is a big part of worship. It helps me express my love for Jesus and the path we have traveled together. It provides a way for me to praise my God and feel connected to my community of believers at the same time. Last Sunday at church, we sang one of my favorite newer songs (“No Longer Slaves”). The lyrics begin like this:

You unravel me, with a melody
You surround me with a song
Of deliverance, from my enemies
Till all my fears are gone

I'm no longer a slave to fear
I am a child of God
I'm no longer a slave to fear
I am a child of God…

When I sang that song this past Sunday, I churned inside. The song always takes me to a different place, reminds me of scriptural truth in a mixed-up, remorseless world. This time, though, I was “haunted” by the echo of a voice that was no longer singing next to mine. As you all know, my mother-in-law, Barb Traff, passed away in early December. Since Barb moved over to Rochester in late March of last year, she had joined us at church most Sundays. She enjoyed the music, even though our contemporary services didn’t feature many songs familiar to her; however, she wasn’t much of a singer. Her voice quavered and often strayed from the tune. She needed four liters of oxygen all the time, so her singing was punctuated by puffs of air from a tank. She didn’t have much endurance, so she often sat rather than standing while we sang. All of these things were constant reminders of her compromised physical condition, and I know she struggled with fear as she faced aging without her husband by her side. Whenever I heard her small, unsteady voice singing this song, I hoped that for that moment at least, it was true, and that she threw off her bondage to fear and felt freedom in Christ.

You split the sea
So I could walk right through it
My fears were drowned in perfect love
You rescued me
and I will stand and sing
I am a child of God

Barb left the world suddenly. She called an ambulance and made the trip to the hospital without loved ones. We didn’t arrive until after she was gone. I think she was probably afraid. She had many, reasonable causes for her fear. I hope that she felt the Lord comforting her in her final moments. I am confident that all of her fear was gone as she made her final journey, to heaven. Her fear was swept away in a moment, never to bother her again. “Where God’s love is, there is no fear, because God’s perfect love drives out fear.” (1 John 4:18a NCV) For this, I am thankful.

Most of us have many, reasonable causes for our fear. This world is full of evil and injustice. We believe what we see instead of trusting our unseen Savior. We fear the unknown rather than leaning on the known power of our God. We see the brokenness of our world and despair, yet we say we serve a risen Lord who has the power to restore us all. It seems we would rather fear death and decay than embrace the eternality of Jesus. Fear is unrelenting darkness which dissipates in the light of God’s love. As believers, we need to find space for the enormity of God in our lives, for as long as we live in this world.

I’m no longer a slave to fear
I am a child of God.

This is a battle cry. Shout it out in the face of your fear.  

I AM A CHILD OF GOD!


Comments