Everybody Lives Somewhere

The more we travel, the more we see. That’s pretty obvious! Sometimes, we are traveling back to a familiar place, looking forward to the sights, sounds, and scents that surround that location and make it a special place for us. That would describe many parts of the vacation we just took, as we definitely enjoyed some familiar and well-loved places. Other times, we are discovering new places to love and admire. We also did a bit of that last week. As we headed back home, after a week of vacationing, there was some sense of a letdown, since we will no longer be among those exciting, adventure-filled locations. Familiar or new, the places we visited on vacation were delights to our senses, and we will miss that adrenaline rush.

As we hiked along the US/Canadian border in Grand Portage State Park last week, I saw the magnificence of the waterfalls on Pigeon River for the first time. Its thunderous power and aching beauty left me awestruck. Videos and pictures of places like this never do them justice, but here’s a glimpse of what I saw. (View full screen for maximum impact.)


We were experiencing this majesty for the first time, but it struck me that SOMEBODY lives in this “neighborhood.” For some set of people, this is just the local park that you visit if you have free time on a Saturday afternoon. I thought, “How could anyone ever take THIS place for granted?” That thought was immediately followed by, “Do I take my local landscape for granted?” I firmly believe that we live in a beautiful area, with rolling hills and river valleys all around us. We have a diverse population of birds, including nesting bald eagles, more Canada geese than you could count, and about the same number of mallard ducks. We have multiple intersecting rivers and creeks running through our fair city, with many miles of bike/walking trails weaving through and around Rochester. We have Quarry Hill Nature Center that teaches our young people (and their parents) about so many things, from wildlife to birds to plant life to insects. We have four seasons of beauty, which transform our landscape into a perpetual slideshow of varying scenery.

I often get asked, “Do you take pictures EVERY day?” (Almost.) Or sometimes I get asked, “How could you possibly need more pictures of the same flowers that come up in your garden every year?” (Each flower is new to this world, showing off its beauty for a short time only. I want to capture that moment.) The answers to both of those questions are rooted in my response to the world God created. Something deep inside me wants to – no, NEEDS to – appreciate the details. I need to remain in awe of my surroundings and NOT take this landscape for granted. I do, occasionally, catch myself thinking, “I don’t expect I’ll see anything special today. I’ll simply take a walk to get some exercise, and I’ll have my camera along, just in case.” I tell you, there is ALWAYS something that captures my eye, something that is unique, something that delights my soul. I take the pictures to remember and to share that moment of joy and delight.

The day after we got back from our vacation, I went out for a walk. I didn’t expect to see anything. You guessed it – I was wrong. I have pictures below of the first couple of days being back in Rochester, observing, again, the beauty we have right here at home. Everybody lives somewhere. Wherever your somewhere is, don’t take it for granted. Look for the tiniest details and the expansive views. I promise, you will not be disappointed.

This little beauty lit on my glasses and wouldn't leave, so I removed the glasses and took pictures. 

Bumbly-bee-autiful!

"I'm off to a picnic, tra-la, tra-la!"

"Picnic? What picnic? I didn't eat - um, see - any picnic!"

Look at the light and shadows on this little beauty!

Red-bellied woodpecker, enjoying some suet at Quarry Hill Nature Center



Comments