Too Much


Saturday, June 16, 2018 – I’m having a hard time starting this blog or even updating pictures from this day. It’s all too much! Too much excitement, too many things we did, too many pictures (I know, I could say that every day), and too many thoughts racing through my mind. It’s all wonderful, though, and I don’t want to forget this day, so I will attempt to write.

We got up early in the morning (and it seemed even earlier, due to the new time zone) in order to make it to the 8:00 ferry to Prince Edward Island. We showered, ate breakfast, repacked our belongings, loaded the car, and were on our way! The drive to the Northumberland Ferries Limited port was a short one, and we only had one little mix-up on directions on our way there. Location was a big reason we stayed where we did! We got to the port by 7:25 or so and waited in a long line of cars to board the Ferry. We were impressed by the efficiency of the boarding process. Once the line started moving, it didn’t take long for us to be on our way. It was a cool morning, so standing on the deck was pretty chilly, but I was still there most of the time. I did go looking for some hot chocolate at one point (they were out!), and ducked in to warm up another time, but I mostly just stood there and watched Prince Edward Island get closer. We arrived and disembarked quickly, so we were there a little before 9:15.






 We were THERE! We stopped at a little Information Center close to the ferry where I picked up my hot chocolate. Yay! I also put my feet on Prince Edward Island for the first time (this trip) at that little spot. After that brief stop, we headed toward the very close-by Wood Islands Lighthouse. We saw it on our way in, so it was fun to see it up close. It was a perfect first stop, as it involved going on a red dirt road. I love red dirt roads in Prince Edward Island! We hadn’t been there half an hour yet, and there was red dirt/clay covering out tires. Love, love, LOVE! We walked around the lighthouse and I took pictures as we went. We were curious why there were two little lights in the same area as the big lighthouse, so we went to read one of the signs in the area. As we went, I noticed an osprey nest on the top of a pole. A couple of other tourists went a little too close, and Mama (or Daddy) osprey left the nest to fly around and scream and scold a bit. I got some really nice pictures and didn’t even have my long lens on! The osprey came pretty close. After looking around the lighthouse, we walked down to the shore to get the long view. It was so gorgeous – maybe my next image from PEI to go on my wall at home. I loved this place.






After this stop, we went west to Point Prim Lighthouse. PEI is a small island with many lighthouses (and beaches, of course!), so it is definitely a “thing” just to spend time at lighthouses all day long. This one was beautiful as well. We decided not to pay extra to go to the top, but we did walk around for a while. After that, we were on the road again, exploring a bit more of the western part of the Points East Coastal Drive before heading toward Montague. That’s the area in which we are staying. We ate lunch at a Wendy’s and went grocery shopping before heading to our home away from home for the week.



We arrived at Moonlight Cottage By-the-Sea at about 1:15 in the afternoon. It is every bit as charming as it looked in the pictures I saw before we came here. I loved exploring the cottage itself and then the shore near the cottage. There are herons and seals and red sandstone boulders. It is perfect. We are also located right next to an old pioneer cemetery. How cool is that?! For the Anne of Green Gables lovers out there, Anne would have a field day with this place: so much scope for the imagination!







The best thing of all is that we are here and settled in for the week. We ate hobo dinners for our evening meal (comfort food, for sure). I did laundry in my own “home” and we fully unpacked our belongings.  We will LIVE here. My right hand is cramped from holding my camera so tightly this whole trip so far (to no one's surprise).

After traveling 2321.3 miles and being in the car 47 hours and 13 minutes, we are having a day of rest on Sunday, June 17. It comes at R.J.’s request (maybe demand?), and I wholeheartedly approve. Happy Father’s Day, R.J.! You are an amazing husband and father, and I hope this day is filled with nothing but reading, eating, and doing word puzzles. (I’ll be down at the shore if you need me….)


Did I mention we're on Prince Edward Island?!?





Comments