(Numbering the Days was Silly) The Trip July 13-15, 2011


My family with me at the airport.
July 13 - There is really nothing glamorous about leaving your loved ones behind when heading out on a trip. We all got up early this morning to skip showers (because the water heater was having issues) and head out to the airport. I added a few last things to my suitcase and carry-ons, finding every moment I could to soak up the love I felt in my home, with my family. We were the first of our party to arrive at the airport (not very surprising for those of you who know the “on time is late” man I married). Soon enough Marti and her entourage were arriving, followed by Steve and Lori. We checked our bags through and then visited for a while: small talk to fill the time. Then Barb from the Missionary Care Team showed up and we all prayed together. My husband reached over to me and held my shoulder and stroked my neck as we prayed. I cherished each second of his touch. Oh, I knew what was coming, and I knew I wasn’t ready. Barb left.  Steve and Lori left. I took some deep breaths, went to the bathroom to collect myself, and tried my best to come out with my game face on. I failed miserably. I hugged my kids goodbye and then R.J., my love, took me in his arms.  He held me and cried with me and we said goodbye, for three weeks. I went through security with tears all over my face, then turned around and waved goodbye once more, flashing a sign language “I love you” across the airport. When I turned around again, my family was gone.

Marti and I were on our way. Goodbyes done, I was left to the business of looking forward. Our short flight from Rochester to Minneapolis was uneventful.  I remembered how much I love flying, as I looked below at the beauty of the world God created. Once in Minneapolis, we headed across the airport to find the gate from which we would depart for our next flight. Once we were at the right end of the airport, we decided to find a place to eat. The meal was good, the conversation even better. I love this opportunity to get to know Marti better. Finally, after waiting about four hours, our flight to Tokyo boarded. It hit me: “Now it’s real; now I’m on my way to Cambodia.”

Mt. Fuji out the plane window
(Later…don’t get me started trying to explain what day it is….) The flight from Minneapolis to Tokyo was just under 12 hours long, during which time they fed us peanuts and pretzels, a full supper, a snack (sandwich with cookies), and breakfast. Breakfast came at what I would have called 2:00 am. But I ate it all. Aside from some stiffness from not moving enough, I did well. I was in the center section of the plane (seats configured with rows of three on each side of the plane and a row of four in the center). The seat next to me was empty, which was handy for flexibility of getting into bags and such. I enjoyed visiting with the couple in the row with me, who were headed to Bejing, China. We had a short layover in Tokyo and were soon on another big plane, headed for Bangkok, Thailand. I was tired by that time, falling asleep almost as soon as I hit the seat. When I opened my eyes, I saw a beautiful sunset outside the window a couple seats over from me. I got my camera and took a couple pictures before the pilot announced that we could see Mt. Fuji out that side of the plane. Sure enough, there it was! I got a couple pictures of it as well, just through the airplane window, but still pretty cool. About six and a half hours after take-off, we arrived in Bangkok. After scoping out the place and figuring out where we need to be tomorrow morning, we found some information about free internet. Didn’t read the fine print, though, which told us that it was only 15 minutes of free internet, so I got cut off in the middle of a conversation with R.J. Rats. Then Marti and I settled in on some benches to catch some sleep. I couldn’t really sleep on the benches, but I did get some rest. When I finally decided I was just too uncomfortable to keep laying on that bench, I got up and read from the book of Acts and spent some time in prayer. Then I listened to “Revelation Song” on my MP3 player. That’s the song during which God spoke to me and told me that I needed to go to Cambodia, back in early October of 2009. I felt God present in this quiet airport. I continue to pray that I will be his vessel, full of him to overflowing. Just a few hours to morning and Cambodia!

Marti and I are finally in Cambodia!
(Later still…Let’s call it Friday at 6:15 pm, because that's what it is in Cambodia.) Our flight was delayed, so we ended up exploring the airport and finding out it was a pretty cool place. When the second part of our group comes through, they will not have to sleep on benches! We had a great plane ride into Phnom Penh, when we finally departed. They served us a yummy meal, even though we were only in the air for an hour. We barely had time to finish it before we landed. We made it through customs, and our suitcases arrived with us. We just about skipped out of the airport! Bill Lobbezoo met us there and took us to the guest house where we will be staying. We had time to change our clothes and wash up a bit before hitting the road to meet up with the rest of the English camp crew who are here. It was really fun that one of the first people I connected with was Laura’s friend from Crown, Allison. After a roof-top lunch with expansive views of the city, we all loaded on a bus and went to the Russian Market, where we bargained for many Cambodian wares. It was about an hour into this that Marti and I started winding down. We opted out of going to the mall tonight, in favor of showering and going to bed early. SHOWERING! I am so happy!! So far, I am soaking up the sights and sounds of the Cambodian world. Can’t wait for more!!
The big group, eating on the roof of Tum Nup Tuk Church

P.S. Did I mention I finally get to take a shower tonight?

Praises:
1.       I have an amazing family. I thank God for my husband and kids every day.
2.       Thank God we made it here with no real issues, and our suitcases made it with us.
3.       Thank God for a fun time connecting with the other group that is here.
Prayers:
1.       Pray for rest tonight for Marti and me. We are tired ladies.
2.       Pray for all aches and pains to be much relieved by morning so we can move forward with enthusiasm! ! And also pray that my swollen ankles (probably from all the long plane rides) go back to their original size soon for more comfort and ease of movement.
3.       Pray for all our words and deeds to be honoring to Christ!
One of our friends from the Ohio group showing this guy his picture

Comments