Why are You Going to Cambodia?

“Why are you going to Cambodia, Liz?” I’ve been asked many forms of this question. Some friends or family members ask out of concern for me, because Cambodia is so far away and so unfamiliar. Some ask because they think I don't have any business  offering my religion/convictions to a people whose cultural belief system is so different from my own. Some ask just to watch my eyes sparkle and hear my voice race with excitement, having felt a similar excitement themselves when going on a mission trip. Some might even ask in order to help me better articulate and define my purpose for the trip. But whatever the motivation behind asking me this question, the answer has to be the same.  I am going to Cambodia because the same GOD who set the stars in the sky TOLD ME TO GO.

I believe that Jesus Christ was a real person who walked on earth, fully God and fully man.  The Bible reports that after Jesus’ resurrection, as he was completing his earthly mission, he gave his followers a message known as the great commission: “Then Jesus came to them and said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.’” (Matthew 28:18-20) Since I believe Jesus is God and I have given my life to God, I believe he has authority over me. This means I take Christ’s command to “make disciples of all nations” very seriously. Jesus wants me to share his message of life-saving love with my neighbors, with my students, with my family, with…well, with everyone!

Dad and Me
The great commission sets a tremendous responsibility before me; however, it doesn’t mean I need to go to Cambodia. For me, Cambodia is personal. I have shared about my “calling” earlier in this blog, but here it is in a nutshell. In October of 2009, God spoke clearly to my heart and told me that my precious daddy was going to die, and that God wanted me to use money from Dad’s estate to go to Cambodia. I cried, I fought for my dad, and I kept this message mostly to myself. In my head, I knew Dad’s time on earth was nearing its end; he was a 90-year-old man with cancer. In my heart, I wanted to beat back death and keep this wonderful, mischievous, loving daddy of mine here where he could hold my hand and tell me crazy stories. God knew HIS plan, though, and He did take my dad home to heaven on December 9, 2009. It was only after Dad’s death that I started to process God’s words to me, and the fact that I needed to go to Cambodia.

On the one hand, my journey begins in a week. One week from today, I will be boarding a plane at the Rochester airport to begin the process of crossing land and sea to get to a country I have only read about in books. On the other hand, my journey began when, as a young teenager, I asked Jesus to be Lord of my life. As I look back, the progression seems natural. Over the years, I have learned more and more WHO God is, through Bible study and prayer. I have done my best to be obedient in His plans for my life. I cherish the growing relationship He cultivates with me and how I can see His hand at work in the world around me. And I LOVE!! God challenges me to love Him, to love my husband and family, to love friends, and to live my life in such a way that His love is a part of every move I make.

This weekend, our church will have a commissioning service for the many servants going on short-term trips to different places around the country and the world. Each person has a story to tell. Each one is a life molded by God, and each one will come back from the place where they serve CHANGED. Please pray for us all as we “live love” to those we go to serve. “Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.” 1 John 4:11

Here we are again: The Cambodia Team
Praises:
1.       The injury I talked about in my previous blog has almost completely healed.
2.       Slowly but surely, the multiple items on my multiple lists are being accomplished.
3.       I am overwhelmed by the love and prayer support by so many. Thank you!

Prayer Requests:
1.       Please pray for our final group meeting this Sunday, that we bond even more as a group and that we all pack our suitcases well.
2.       Pray for travel safety as Marti (another member of our group) and I embark for Cambodia next Wednesday morning (July 13). Also pray for Rick and Karen (other team members) as they begin their journey on July 14, flying on stand-by.
3.       For peace and relinquishment of anything I don’t get checked off those massive lists.


Comments